The husband of Mrs. Mary Akanbi, one of the teachers abducted during the attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, has made an emotional appeal to the kidnappers to release his wife and their 18-month-old baby.
In a viral interview with media personality Chude Jideonwo, the distraught man said he was ready to surrender himself to the abductors in exchange for the freedom of his wife and child.
Gunmen had invaded Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, Community Grammar School, Esiele, and L.A. Primary School in Oriire LGA last Friday, abducting pupils and teachers in the process.
Speaking from the affected community, Akanbi lamented the worsening security situation, saying residents had been left helpless and unprotected following the attack.
“We, the victims, are the only people remaining in the community, with no security personnel and no protection whatsoever. Most of the security personnel who attempted the rescue mission were wasted,” he said.
He added, “I will gladly give myself to them for the sake of my wife and my child. Let them free my wife and my child and take me instead.
“I am in the exact community where my family was taken. Let them come for me instead. They have taken everything; they have ruined my life.”
Earlier, in another viral video, the abducted teacher had appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, to urgently intervene and secure the release of the victims.
Reports indicate that at least 45 schoolchildren, a principal, and several teachers were kidnapped during the attacks. Two persons were reportedly killed, while one of the abducted teachers was later murdered in captivity.
Meanwhile, President Tinubu on Monday condemned the abduction and killing, describing the incident as barbaric.
The President sympathised with Governor Makinde and the families of the victims, while assuring Nigerians that the Federal Government was working with the Oyo State Government and security agencies to secure the release of all those abducted.
Tinubu also commended the Inspector-General of Police, as well as the police commissioners in Oyo and Kwara states, for deploying tactical and Intelligence Response Team personnel to rescue the victims.
Discover more from NATIONAL BEAM
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
















