President Bola Tinubu has praised Nigeria’s security agencies following the dramatic rescue of 308 kidnapped victims in a major intelligence-led operation spanning Kwara and Niger states.
The rescued victims include 163 residents of Woro community in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State and 145 abductees from Niger State, all freed from the Kainji Lake National Park forest in New Bussa, Niger State.
The operation, described as the largest single-day rescue by the joint security team, was carried out by the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC), the Armed Forces, the Department of State Services (DSS), and the Nigeria Police Force.
Reacting to the development, President Tinubu, through his spokesman Bayo Onanuga, commended the security agencies for their professionalism, courage, and coordination.
“The successful execution of this intelligence-led operation demonstrates the growing efficiency and collaboration among our security services,” the President said, praising security personnel for their unwavering commitment to protecting Nigerians.
He disclosed that the rescued victims are receiving medical attention at the Wawa Cantonment before being handed over to their respective state governments for rehabilitation and reunification with their families.
Tinubu also directed security agencies to strengthen intelligence gathering, improve early-warning systems, and enhance rapid-response capabilities to prevent future attacks. He reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to defeating insecurity and restoring peace across the country.
163 Woro Victims Finally Freed
The 163 residents of Woro community had spent nearly six months in captivity after terrorists stormed Woro and neighbouring Nuku community on February 3, 2026, killing several residents, destroying homes, and abducting mostly women and children.
Confirming the rescue, the member representing Gwanabe/Gweria/Bani/Adena Constituency in the Kwara State House of Assembly, Hon. Saidu Baba Ahmed, described the development as joyful and thanked President Tinubu, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, and security operatives.
The Kwara State Government also celebrated the rescue, with Governor AbdulRazaq’s spokesman, Ibraheem Abdullateef, describing it as a major victory for the security forces.
Kaiama Local Government Chairman, Hon. Abubakar Abdullahi Danladi, confirmed that the rescued victims had been taken to Wawa Military Base before their planned transfer to Sobi Army Barracks in Ilorin, where they will undergo medical checks and treatment before reuniting with their families.
Danladi said he had no information on whether any ransom was paid.
Families Celebrate Emotional Reunion
Relatives of the rescued victims expressed gratitude to the Federal Government, the Kwara State Government, and security agencies.
One of the relatives, Medina Usman, whose daughter was among those rescued, thanked Allah and applauded the efforts of the authorities despite not yet seeing her daughter.
Another relative, Abdullah Suleiman, described the rescue as a huge relief, while former Kwara lawmakers Hon. Ibrahim Sabi and Hon. Aliyu Mande also commended the security agencies and governments for ensuring the victims regained their freedom.
Security sources had earlier linked the February attack to armed groups believed to be associated with Lakurawa, Boko Haram, and Ansaru, operating around border communities after residents reportedly resisted attempts to impose extremist rule.
Discover more from NATIONAL BEAM
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
















